Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cooking from Pinterest

I've lately been attempting to take back the kitchen.  You know, fewer frozen pizzas, chicken nuggets, meatballs, fries...the garbage you take from freezer to microwave and then consume.  Thank you Pinterest for making everything look easy and delicious.

My first attempt:
Baked Pesto Chicken

I used:
1/2 c. Costco's pesto sauce, so maybe that's cheating, but it's fresh and so much more delicious than any other pesto I've ever had, so I call it good.
Two fresh chicken breasts (from Costco, they're packaged in groups of two, so it's perfect for us.)
1/2 c. Tillmook mozzarella

That's it.

Super easy:

Preheat to 375
Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise
Spread your glass baking dish with 1/4 c of the pesto
Lay chicken breasts over the pesto
Spread remaining pesto over the chicken
Cover with foil
Bake 25-30 minutes, or until done
Add mozzarella, cook for 5 more minutes (broil if you want the cheese to brown and bubble)

This probably would have been amazing, if my meat thermometer hadn't been broken (which I discovered after about 50 minutes of baking...as it was, the sauce was good, and the chicken was...chalky. 

Fail.

On the side I made these:
Sliced Baked Potatoes

These cook at a higher temp than the chicken, so I tried to cheat the system by baking them for a half hour at the appropriate temp, then lowering it when I added the chicken and cooking them 25 minutes more.  Guess what happened?  Oh right...they didn't cook properly. 

Anyway, the how to:
As many potatoes as you want (I used 4 golden)
Slice from top to bottom, leaving just enough potato intact on the bottom to keep it from falling apart (I cut it like I would for scalloped potatoes, just not all the way through)
Drizzle with butter, olive oil, salt an pepper

Bake at 425 for 40 minutes

But, we got a pretty good idea of how they should have tasted, and we agreed they need more than oil, salt, pepper and butter.  Like...all the stuff you'd put on a normal baked potato.  But mostly, it needed cheese.  So, there you have it.

So, though this dinner was a fiasco, I have since made several more things that were successful.  Stay tuned!

Follow me on Pinterest!

*Pictures not mine - they're from Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment