Monday, April 11, 2011

Chronicles of Cry It Out - Day Two

I'd read that the first night, on average, takes an hour. The second night, 45 minutes. The third night, 30 minutes, etc. Lies. Cry it out is very stressful for all involved, and on this night I had to handle it on my own. So, I put me sleepy but awake baby in her crib. kissed her and said all the mushy mom things, and resolutely walked out of the room. To silence. The silence lasted about two minutes, and as I curled up on the couch hugging the monitor as a surrogate Charlie, I listened to the angry, angry screams coming from my tiny girl. After a few minutes, these gave way to furious mumblings. She was grumbling all her emotions out in baby talk, which was actually pretty hilarious to listen too. This continued for several minutes, then turned back into angry screaming. Then to sobbing. Then to screaming, then to grumbling, and one last burst of screaming. The peaceful, blissful slumber. The whole process took an hour and ten minutes, and again, it sucked. Tim came home at the tail end of it, and feeling sympathetic, he treated me to two cheeseburgers and french fries from McDonalds, which helped melt the tension a bit. She slept until 4 am, when I fed her and put her back down. Then she woke up at 5 am, ready to start the day. I couldn't convince her to go back to sleep with any amount of feeding or rocking, so eventually she and I laid down on the couch and napped together until 9:30 when I woke up. Not ideal, but I couldn't handle a five'o'clock wake up time. The rest of the day was rough. She was a gem at church, letting Daddy hold her the whole time, napping on his shoulder (she's been pretty mean to Tim lately, making it clear that she'd prefer I hold her, breaking both of our hearts.) When we got home, I fed her and we played for a bit before we all took super long naps. (Hers in her crib, lasting almost two hours - she averages 15-45 minutes usually.) Then the pain came in to play. We've started Charlie on solids, and they've been unkind to her little digestive tract. It all came to a head after her nap, and she was experiencing a LOT of pain as she tried to get things moving. Eventually I called a nurses consulting line and was told to give her baby pear juice and prunes. She liked the juice a lot, but hardly touched the pureed prunes, I think more so because she didn't want to eat when she was in pain, less because...well, they're prunes. We also gave her liberal amounts of gas drops, which she loves. She sucks on that little dropper as long as we'll let her, getting every little drop of strawberry flavored goodness. But still, the rest of the day was punctuated with her tiny scrunched up face and pathetic cries, and lots of belly rubs, a warm bath, and diaper changes...anything we could think of to help her discomfort. So with this rough day, we were geared up for a rough night.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Erin. We struggled for months to get Gideon to sleep before we resorted to "cry it out," and I regret that we waited so long. Within a week or two he was going right to sleep, and has ever since. It's hard to start, but very much worth it in the end!